Safety Data Sheet (SDS)
Mainstream Marine® Descaler (Quart Refill)
Quart Refill for use with Mainstream Marine® Descaler Kit. Multi-Purpose Concentrated Barnacle Solvent, Marine Flush, Cleaner & Descaler Kit. Biodegradable Mainstream Marine® Descaler quickly dissolves barnacles, bio-growth, water scale, lime, rust, and other water-formed deposits. Fantastic for flushing marine engines and A/C systems… Safely restores equipment to full efficiency and opens flow passages. Unique Color Indicating Chemistry turns from red to yellow if more descaling solution is needed!
Directions for Use:
- Put on appropriate safety protective equipment, including gloves, safety glasses with eye shields, and protective apron.
- Turn item being descaled off. If the item uses electrical power such as an air conditioner or refrigerator, disconnect power to the device.
- The idea is to locate the pump in the bucket (both suppled in the flush kit) and use the pump to flow the descaling solution through the coolant loop and then back into the same bucket (Flushing the solution around the loop for at least 10 minutes.)When possible, flush in the flow direction opposite to the normal direction of sea water flow, however, in the case of outboard motors this is typically not possible.Exact flushing configurations vary per application. See drawings to the right for examples of possible flushing configurations.For outboards, if a hose fitting for engine flushing is not part of the outboard, an ear-muff-type flushing fitting (not supplied) will be necessary.
- Mix sufficient MM Descaler™ flushing solution to fully submerge the pump with the diluted flushing solution. Can be used full-strength or diluted up to 5 parts water to 1 part MM Descaler™. Additional quarts (p/n MM7712) or gallons (p/n MM7710) of concentrated Descaler flushing solution may be required for large systems. Be sure to have enough solution to keep the pump submersed when in use. Operating the pump in the open air will increase wear and decrease the life of the pump.
- Plug pump into grounded ground-fault receptacle.
- Allow the pump to circulate MM Descaler™ solution through for 10-15 minutes. If the red MM Descaler™ solution turns yellow at any time then add additional MM Descaler™ to the bucket to get the red color back again and operate at least 10 minutes more. The system is clean when the red color is retained for at least 10 minutes. When completed unplug pump before removing any hoses.
- Completely disconnect the flushing hoses, draining any solution into the bucket.
- Remove the pump from the bucket, draining any solution into the bucket.
- Discard the used MM Descaler™ solution.
- Flush the system with fresh water from a garden hose for 2-3 minutes after the water flows clear.
- Disconnect the black hose from the pump
and remove the pump from the bucket.
- If any hoses were removed to attach the flushing hoses, replace them and check for leak-tight connections.
- Flush systems at least annually, more frequently if biological growth or flow restrictions are evident.